Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cognitivism in Practice

 The cognitive learning theory focuses on how learners take in information and store and use it. Learners take information into their short term memory, make meaning of it, and then can potentially store information into the long term memory where it can be later accessed. The instructional strategies presented this week are learning experiences teachers can set up to assist and guide students to make connections with new information. Students are able to better understand new information when they can connect it with something they already know. Advanced organizers, cues, questions, summaries, and note taking present a format for the student to manipulate information into meaningful information networks. Concept maps allow students to have a visual representation of the relationship between concepts. This instructional strategy allows students to organize their thoughts in a meaningful way. Virtual field trips allow student to encounter places that they are not able to visit. It assist in providing a visual image to accompany an idea/place.

2 comments:

  1. Have you used a virtual field trip yet? I think this would be a great way to motivate students about a topic as well as a replacement for actually visiting the field trip where things can become overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this week's readings and the DVD. This was a nice refresher to my college days learning about students and their disabilities and also how our brain works. When helping my students, I am always trying to make connections in so many various ways. I will continue trying to reinforce in order to help my students, but also, I will try using the same strategies for myself. It seems I need some refresher strategies in order to help increase my long-term memory. I laughed at Dr. Orey, because I am often saying, "It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember."

    ReplyDelete