Friday, April 22, 2011

Final Blog Post for Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas

The GAME plan allowed me to find an amazing tool for use in my classroom.  The implementation of the text message reminder program has drastically improved the homework completion rate of students who volunteer for the program.  I have also found that my students are sending themselves text reminders about assignments in other classes as well.  Through the GAME plan I have found a program/skill that students can independently use to improve themselves in the classroom and in their lives.  It has been a real joy to see students take responsibility for their own organization and homework.

The GAME plan that I developed and modified through this course was very beneficial to myself as a learner and a teacher.  I feel that this method of goal setting and monitoring is a great way to facilitate self motivated learning.  I added an additional personal incentive to help inspire me to follow though with my learning goals.  My GAME plan was very different from that of many of my classmates.  My plan calls for continued learning and research in the area of instructional technology.  Beyond the time frame of this class, I plan to keep working on my GAME plan so I can continue to learn and grow with educational technology.

As a result of this course I plan to make several adjustments to my instruction.  I am very interested in some of the differentiation and individualization theories and ideas that were presented in the course documents.  Things like audio recordings of books and word prediction software can be use to support students in the learning process.  Being a special education teacher, it is important to find ways that my students can learn along side their peers.  I also plan to implement more authentic learning in my classroom.  I feel this style of learning will best prepare students for their future roles in adult life.  This form of learning allow students to be self directed learners and perform at their individual levels.  The collaborative aspect of this instructional method is also very beneficial.  When students work together they build on each others ideas and usually have a better final product. This course has presented many great instructional methods that will inevitably influence my classroom instruction.  As with the completion of all of my Walden course, I feel as thought I have learned a great deal and have become better prepared to teach in a technology based world.

No comments:

Post a Comment