Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Evaluation of GAME Plan progress

 Through my actions, I have found a great tool to support my students. I have found that with a full description of the technology and possible charges that may apply the parents of my students can give permission for their students to receive text reminders about assignments. One of the stipulations placed on the technology was that I had to keep copies of any reminders that have been sent. This data gathering is to ensure that my use of the technology can be examined if any issues should arise. My students have a short vocabulary assignment to complete on several nights during the week. Monday night my students had an assignment and the class homework completion rate on Tuesday was 68%. Tuesday night my students had a similar assignment and were sent a text message reminder at 7:25pm. The class homework completion rate on Wednesday was 83%! I would like to examine this reminder system over a more extended amount of time to see if the effectiveness changes. The GAME plan inspired me to find something that had a positive effect on my classroom and my students. I will me rewarding myself with a pedicure sometime very soon! The quest for a new technology project begins! I have decided to reduce the number of new tools I implement a month to just one because I found that I really like to focus on one thing and become very familiar with features and usages. One other adjustment I will make it to investigate the alternative usages of the technology tools I implement in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Miss Hampton,

    It looks like you could really be on to something here. We all know students can hardly go an hour without checking their cell phones. Email alerts can be helpful but students check cell phones more frequently than their email.

    Keeping records of texts to provide security is also a smart move especially in this day and age. My only concern is sending a text from your personal phone. I'm not sure if this is how you did it but I would be worried that my cell number would be passed around and/or utilize it for the wrong reasons. Is there a way you can block your number from the texts? If this does become a problem, you may also want to consider the "alert now" system that sends a recorded message to their voicemail that can act as a reminder. Our principal uses this to let us know about important events, as well as school closings due to inclement weather. Another method for keeping students informed and act as a reminder.

    Good luck to you!

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlene,
    The website I am using to send out text reminders does not require that you to input your cell number. Using the website will allow me to send messages that do not contain any of my personal information. Privacy for my student's cell numbers is not an issue because the site does not share that information with anyone.

    ReplyDelete